Friday, January 13, 2012

How to make your own handmade beads

Hello! Yesterday I made my first handmade bead and since I liked the result, I wanted to share the way with you! To be exact, I will show you how to make the same bead in two different ways!...


A few days ago I purchased a tool called Coiling Gizmo and yesterday I decided to play with it! When I made my first bead with wire and seed beads, I thought I should made one without the gizmo for those who don't have it! The result was the same for this particular bead. Of course, the coiling gizmo gives you a lot more options for plenty different beads, which you can make easier and quicker than without it! No, I'm not getting paid by the manufacturer!! ;-)  The materials I used are the ones in the parenthesis.

Materials for a 2 cm bead

  • wire of your choice up to 0,8mm diameter ( 25cm length of Supa Violet 0,71mm)
  • Seed beads (2 different shapes and sizes)
  • metal or wooden stick
  • Flat nose pliers 
  • Chain nose pliers
  • Coiling gizmo (optional)
Bead without using the coiling gizmo 
Stabilize your wire on the metal stick as shown in the picture and begin coiling it carefully.










When you reach the desired number of coils, bring them together with the flat nose pliers, in case there are spaces.







Slide on the seed beads so that they take 6-7 cm of the free wire end. If you don't like spaces between the seed beads on the final bead, choose same size and shape seed beads.





Hold the stick with your left hand  and start coiling the beaded wire, without applying too much pressure, so that the beads don't brake. With your right hand hold the seed beads so that they don't fall off the wire.







Go on coiling the free wire in as many coils as on the other side.







Take the bead off the stick and use your chain nose pliers to cut the wire you don't need.
Finally, shape the bead with your fingers by opening and closing it again gently. Our bead is ready!!!

Bead by using the coiling gizmo
Stabilize your wire on the stick as shown in the picture.
Start turning the special handle of the stick clockwise, holding at the same time the loose end of the wire quite tensed and near the base of the tool that is set on the table. 
Keep on turning until you reach the desired number of coils.
Remove the stick and add the seed beads as before.
This is picture 5!  Turn the gizmo clockwise without applying too much pressure, so that the beads don't brake. With your right hand hold the seed beads so that they don't fall off the wire.
Continue turning slowly and steadily...
Same as above... I believe I have taken a lot of photos! ;-)
After you have coiled the beaded part, keep on turning the handle until you reach the same number of coils as you have on the other end of the bead.
Remove the stick from the base...
Remove the bead from the stick and shape it as before! DONE!
  This is my first tutorial and I wanted to be thorough, but I think I overdid it!!! :-)
 
Here are the two beads made in two different ways! Can you tell which is which? I know I can't!!!
Using these beads I made the following bracelet - earrings set! I hope you like it!
Have a wonderful evening!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...